As a family favourite, I used to make this caramel popcorn recipe for all of my cousins at Christmas time, it generally never made it past the front door!
- 8 cups Popped corn for each recipe
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tbsp dark corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp each: paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic salt, onion salt, cayenne powder, sea salt
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- For the spiced popcorn, mix all the spices in a bowl (paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic salt, onion salt, cayenne powder, sea salt)
- Add melted butter to popcorn and toss with spices to taste then serve!
- For the caramel popcorn pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- In a medium saucepan measure the butter, corn syrup and brown sugar and set over medium heat and stir until the butter melts
- While sugar is simmering, measure out baking soda and salt
- Boil sugar mix for about 5 minutes until bubbles are slower and bigger
- Remove from heat - then slowly add salt and baking soda, make sure you are careful, the mixture will bubble up because of the reaction with the baking soda
- Add the vanilla, stir then add to your popcorn and mix quickly
- Spread evenly on a baking tray (you might need two)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (make sure to watch your popcorn so it doesn't burn, it should be golden and clear caramel, when it starts to get darker in colour it is over baking
- Let cool for 5 minutes then break into pieces in a serving bowl
- The try...to stop eating it!
Mix some of the spiced popcorn to the caramel popcorn for bursts of flavour in every bite!