If you are looking for a delicious meatless Monday recipe, our gluten free, vegan burger is the perfect fit. Homemade, with clean ingredients is the best to approach any burger, especially a meatless one. Get ready to fire up the grill, you'll be pleasing all your dinner guests, not just the vegan ones!
- 6 oz. white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon olive oil separated
- 2 slices fresh Whisked gluten free bread (teff, wholegrain, hamburger bun, sandwich bread, rosemary flatbread)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons hot water*)
- In a food processor, process mushrooms until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse bread until crumbly. Set aside 1 ¼ cup.
- In a medium size frying pan heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until water is released. Add the onions and salt. Fry for additional 5 minutes until water evaporates. Add thyme, garlic powder and ground pepper. Cook for additional two minutes. Set aside to cool for five minutes.
- In a large bowl add the cooked lentils, fresh gluten free breadcrumbs, mushroom mixture and flax egg. Combine gently until mixture forms a sticky batter.
- Using a ½ measuring cup, shape the mixture into four patties. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the frying pan and on medium heat cook patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until heated through.
- Serve on a Vegan Whisked Gluten Free Hamburger Bun with all your favorite toppings.
- *To make a flax egg: In a small bowl add one tablespoon ground flax and three tablespoons boiling water. Set aside to cool. The flax egg will have a similar texture to egg whites.