Skip the meat with this delicious take on a savory classic. Increasing your veggie intake has never tasted so good, a tasty one to add to your Meatless Monday recipe file.
- 2 eggplants, (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Whisked Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce), divided
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Coat two baking sheets and an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Whisk eggs in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, basil, oregano and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the eggplant slices over, and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange half of the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Add a layer of the remaining eggplant slices and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.